Saturday, October 13, 2012

My pet peeves from the YA books

With the closing of the year I have tallied my books, and dived into around 150 stories. The thing I started noticing about some of these stories were how similar characters and story lines were. I mainly read fantasy fiction, but I see some of the same things in contemporary fiction too.
The bullet points
  • I have read 4 books at least that remind me so much of twilight, and at least 6 that are very hunger gameish. All new within the last 3 yrs. remind you.  
  • Love freakin' triangles, are a staple of literature, but now they seem to be forcing you to focus on the couples instead of letting you marinate into them as you read the story.
  • Plots are crap, the authors treat all teens like they are love struck idiots, this is in a lot chic lit books. Most heroines are TDTL.
  • The steam punk craze, I swear....There is a few good plotted books that were well thought out, but so many others were just thrown together and sent to make money.
  • Finally my biggest Peeve, is all the prom dresses....FYI authors a girl in prom dress on your cover does not always represent the book.
So to conclude my post I will leave some recommendations of books that stand out to me as good reads that followed their own path, and not the path of others.

Dystopian: Uglies Series by Scott Westerfield, Maximum Ride Series by James Patterson

Specials (Uglies, #3)Nevermore (Maximum Ride, #8)
 
Steam Punk: The Iron Thorn by Caitlin Kittredge, The Girl in Steel Corset by Kady Cross

The Iron Thorn (Iron Codex, #1)The Girl in the Steel Corse...
 
Fairy Tale ( We are taking Prince/ Princesses/ Fey here): The Lost Prince by Julie Kagwa, The Luxe series by Anna Godberson (Basically is Gossip Girl in the 19th century)


The Luxe (Luxe, #1) The Lost Prince (The Iron F...




 
 
Creature fantasy (werewolves, vampire, etc):  Onyx (Lux series) by Jennifer Armentrout, The Vampire Academy by Richelle Mead
 
Onyx (Lux, #2)  Frostbite (Vampire Academy,...