Monday, July 8, 2013

Silence of the Wolves Guest Post


Getting published

Well hello there ladies and gents! Firstly I would like to say, thank you so much to The College Crawl for having me I really appreciate it!

What fantastic beans they are!

So I thought I would talk to day about the whole ‘getting published’ process. I mean come on, for me it was like finding gold dust… in my back garden. Something I never dreamed would happen. When it comes to writing, it is my belief that all writers are born exaggerators, we take something from our every day lives and turn it into something fantastical, amazing, something worth talking about. 

Or at least that’s what I think I do, I could be wrong!

As you may know, it was around 2009 I actually started writing, following a rather humorous diary entry that caused an unfortunate accident with a chair. I didn’t finish that novel, but it did lead me to write Silence of the Wolves for National Novel Writing month! It just so happened that I had recently joined the world of twitter (I know, I know I am a late starter in that department!) And was following Harlequin, among other publishers, authors and the like. One day I noticed a tweet by Harlequin saying they were accepting Nano-Wrimo submissions! So I jumped at the chance. I mean literally jumped. As soon as I saw it, I fumbled together a cover letter and pinged across my novel, which, by the way, was tragically awful at the time. I mean seriously, writing an entire novel in 30 days, as you do for Nano, it was filled to the brim with typo's, grammatical errors, awful spelling, the works.
Anyway, with that sent, I started editing it myself, expanding it, re-writing, adding, and re-writing some more. By January, I’d added about 30,000 words, and corrected my god-awful grammar. I received an email from this mysterious woman called Anna telling me that they liked my novel and were still considering it. So I sent them the new revised version and waited. And waited. Aaaand waited. 

After what felt like forever, February 2013 came around and I was just absently flicking through my emails on a Friday evening. I came to one that almost made my heart stop. 

'Hi Hannah, I'd really like to discuss your novel today or on Monday if you're available. Anna.'

Oh my god. I didn't know what to do with myself. It was too late for her to be in the office, so I would have to wait until Monday for her to call, so I spent the weekend freaking out. I was rambling to everyone I knew, frantic conversations of the 'She wouldn't want to discuss my novel if she didn't like it right?' - 'What if she's just phoning me to tell me its terrible and to stop emailing her.' - 'What if they don't like it?' variety.

After a long weekend of freaking out, Monday finally came around, Anna arranged to call me on my lunch hour at work, I was so nervous I was literally shaking as I answered the phone. 'We would like to offer you a three book deal' she said. 

Oh my god. I was absolutely over the moon! I was grinning from ear to ear for the next week, in an absolute daze. 

So long story short, I owe my happiness to Anna, my editor, and Carina UK & Harlequin, they really turned my hopes and dreams into a reality. I count myself as one of the luckiest writers on the planet, to have found such a wonderful editor and to have found publication so quickly.

So, my point for all of you wonderful aspiring writers, is -put pen to paper, get involved and don't ever give up, if you want something badly enough it really will happen, you just have to give it a go.

Also, be sure to tweet, facebook and get involved in all writing events you can. Opportunities come up so often you just need to be there to see it and jump straight in.

So that’s how I got published! If you're still reading at this point, I am fully impressed! I give you my bestest toothy grin of approval! Now get writing! Or reading... Or dancing! Whatever works!
Oh yeah, and check Silence of the Wolves out! You never know… You just might like it!


P.S – Come visit me!
@hannahapole
www.hannahpole.co.uk


Fate is calling…

After a strange encounter in a dark alley, journalist Tamriel’s life is turned upside down. She’s missing days, developing odd new abilities, and being followed by mysterious Leyth.
Dark, dangerous – and too gorgeous for his own good –Leyth’s determined to teach Tamriel about her new life – as a werewolf! And just as intent on keeping their relationship strictly business.
But as their simmering bond grows, Tamriel and Leyth face a bigger challenge; Tam may be their kind’s strongest weapon against the Circle, a deadly group of paranormal creatures gone rogue. That is, if she’s ready to give into her destiny and put up the fight of her life...









Tweet me a picture of you and your e-reader with Silence of the Wolves on it for a signed e-poster from yours truly!


The funniest faces will win a signed printed poster!


Follow me on twitter for a chance to win a poster or amazon gift voucher!

a Rafflecopter giveaway